2017-08-14

4) Haircut

Today is August 14th, and day 22 of induction. We were at Sick Kids again today for blood work, and chemotherapy as long as the blood results came back okay. The doctors were happy with E's white blood cell, hemoglobin, neutrophil, and platelet counts, so the chemotherapy went ahead. Later on in the day, we had a dental consult for E which also took place at Sick Kids.

Lately, E has been pulling at his hair. The doctors tell us that it is normal, and older kids who can speak, tell them that their scalp tingles. Tonight, after returning home from our appointments, E was again pulling at his hair, and it started coming out in clumps. I thought I would be more upset when he ultimately started to lose his hair, but surprisingly, I felt nothing. My wife said that it's time to shave his head, so we got the clippers, attached the #2 guard, and gave haircuts to both E, and his brother J. I was hesitant to clip it, but not because of an emotional attachment to his hair. He had a rough day today with plenty of crying and unhappy moments, so I partially wanted to spare him more grief. I was also worried that he would get so worked up that we would have to stop, leaving his hair in a partially cut mess. Things went well, and both E, and J look pretty cute with their new hairdos.

No comments:

Post a Comment