2018-08-19

66) Not the post I set out to write

This evening, I wanted to write. This evening, I tried to write. This evening, I failed to write.

I became ensnared with fixing a couple of technical issues, and now it's getting too late to think clearly about my post. The initial websites-not-loading problem was resolved with computer/router/modem reboots fairly quickly. Then, I somehow managed to notice that a specific key on my keyboard wasn't working. I didn't need to use that key, but it really bothered me that it wasn't working. I could have left it well enough alone, but I didn't. I tumbled down the rabbit hole because I felt compelled to fix it.

Perhaps it's because I'm a perfectionist. Perhaps it's because I'm obsessive compulsive when it comes to certain things. Perhaps it's a bit of column A, and a bit of column B. Regardless, I needed to fix the problem, and I wasn't going to stop until it was resolved. I felt like I needed to beat it; I needed to win.

I'm not going to get into boring technical details about the different avenues I tried, but I did end up fixing the problem. I'm feeling satisfied that I found a solution, but slightly irked that the cost of finding it was writing about my desired topic.

I guess that's life though: choosing one thing at the expense of another. And looking at my screen, and seeing a few paragraphs, I realize that I didn't fail. I did actually write something, it just wasn't the post I initially set out to write. Which may be the other lesson: choosing a different path can still get to your intended destination, you might just have different scenery along the way.

1 comment:

  1. You know someone is a real sysadmin when he will spend way too much time trying to fix a problem like a key not working. It's the type of problem that we MUST solve now. Been here, done that :)

    ReplyDelete