2018-01-05

34) A Christmas story

Christmas has always meant a great deal to me. I grew up in an out-of-the-way small town in Northwestern Ontario. And by small, I mean ~1400 people small. Christmases were always cold, and snowy: idyllic if you will. An eerie sense of quiet would envelop you if you happened to be outisde during a heavy snowfall, the flakes accumulating, and burying everything in a blanket of white. There was always something wintery to do whether it was tobogganing, cross country skiing, or building snow forts. It was the kind of place where in mid-December you would walk into the woods surrounding the town, pick an evergreen tree, cut it down, and that would be your Christmas tree. As the days to Christmas counted down, the Christmas cards sent from afar piled up and were on display around the house. There were Santa letters to write, Christmas specials to watch, and lines to memorize for the class Christmas play. The inky blackness of night yielded more surprises; the many colours of the northern lights danced across the cold, starry skies. Our excitement grew to a fever pitch in the days leading up to the big day, undoubtedly further escalated when the Christmas Eve newscasts would report that Canadian radar had detected Santa’s sleigh taking off from the north pole.

Despite living far away from most of our family, we were never truly alone for Christmas. We had an uncle who lived a couple hours away who spent nearly every Christmas with us. Also, we had brave grandparents, who, several times, made the long journey to spend Christmas with us in the north. While it may have been nice to have lived closer so that we could more often see grandparents, aunts, uncles, and cousins, I don’t think I’d ever trade my perfect small town Christmas memories.

During the last few years, I've come to realize that it's more the pre-Christmas preparations that I love about the Holiday Season. Don't get me wrong, it’s wonderful to wake up on Christmas Morning and see what Santa has left under your tree, but more of my favourite Christmas memories are from before Christmas. I will forever remember putting up lights with my dad, decorating the house & tree, watching Christmas cartoons with my siblings, and baking cookies with my mom. Pre-Christmas is open-ended potential. Christmas Day is static and unbudging. The day is over so quickly, I feel it can never quite reach the lofty expectations of more than a month's worth of buildup. This Christmas Eve, I read an article from the BBC that just happened to be about this sentiment. If you’re interested in checking it out, here’s the link

http://www.bbc.com/news/stories-42426094

Part 1 | Part 2 | Part 3

No comments:

Post a Comment