2017-12-08

31) #$%! You


On his behalf, I'd like to dedicate this Headstones tune to E's leukemia:

*WARNING* NSFW lyrics


I'll quite often listen to this song while I'm getting ready on the mornings where we have to take E to an appointment for chemotherapy. It's my angry/cheese off leukemia song, and as dumb as it may sound, I sing along and imagine myself or E singing it to all the cancerous cells in his body.

I'm not going to try to get deep and analytical about the lyrics in this song, but I'm going to give my quick interpretation. While at the most basic level, this might seem like a song about a bad breakup. The protagonist knows it's going to be difficult, but recognizes that ultimately, he's better off without the antagonist, and he will endure. Being a fan of the Headstones & knowing a bit about their singer Hugh Dillon, I'm convinced that yes, it is a breakup song, but this song is about his breakup with heroin.

Regardless of my interpretation, I find there's enough lyrical content that I find relevant to E's cancer and treatment. The song helps me to focus, and feel reassured that yes, the chemo treatments are challenging and demanding, but perseverance will be worth it in the end. Because leukemia, E will get over you. Plus, when you're stressed out because your son is dealing with a serious illness, a little bit of gratuitous vulgarity is good for blowing off some steam.

No comments:

Post a Comment