2021-06-06

159) Happy cancer Survivors Day

Here we are on June 6th, 2021. Exactly 8 months off of treatment for E, and co-incidentally cancer Survivors Day. We reached E’s end of treatment day on October 6th, 2020, any this space kind of got dropped. I’ve been meaning/wanting to write an update now that treatment is done, but I was unable to bring myself to do so. But, more about EOT for another day.
 
As a parent, you end up speaking sentences you never thought you would say in your life, such as “please don’t lick your mother’s shoe”. And yes, that was something I said to one of the boys a couple of years ago. Many of these sentences are comical (after the fact), and I’ll sometimes wonder if any other human being has ever uttered the same phrase, if there a particularly strange one that needs to be said.

Today is cancer Survivors Day, and my 5 year old son is under that umbrella. I wished him a Happy cancer Survivors Day, and while he doesn’t know what it means, I thought it was important to say it to him anyway, to recognize everything he’s endured. Wishing a Happy cancer Survivors Day to my 5 year old son is something I NEVER EVER would have even fathomed before kids. It’s always something that happens to someone else’s kid.....until it happens to YOUR kid. It’s heartbreaking, and at the very least, it’s both physically and emotionally draining to endure what our family has gone through for the past 3.5 years, and we’re one of the lucky ones.

So, Happy cancer Survivors Day to anyone out there who has been stricken by this awful disease. I hope it’s not something you’ll ever have to say to a loved one, even more so if that loved on is your child.


No comments:

Post a Comment