2019-09-02

105) Strangers into friends

I sit down this evening to write with a heavy heart.

Today is Labour Day in Canada, and it unofficially marks the end of summer. Most parents are trying to get back into routines, and are preparing for their children to go back to school tomorrow. A family we know from our clinic and parental support group had their son succumb to relapsed neuroblastoma this morning, and instead of back to school, they’re preparing for their child to be buried.

Today has been rough. I’ve been crying off and on all day today. I’m having problems coming to terms with the unfairness of the situation. A family has lost their little boy to this awful fucking shitface asshole of a disease named cancer. He did nothing to deserve this, and now all of his budding lifetime potential is gone. He was only 5 for fuck’s sake. Now is the part where I attempt to explain how I’m not trying to be selfish by writing about my grief over another parent’s loss.

One of the things I see crop up in some of the online leukemia support groups reads: “Childhood cancer makes friends into strangers, and strangers into friends”. Through our journey, I identify more with the latter than with the former. Some people have friends or family turn toxic after a childhood cancer diagnosis, while others are ghosted by their so-called-friends. Like I said, I wouldn’t say that has been our experience, but everyone’s experiences are different. I do identify with the “strangers into friends” part of the statement.

Until you get to know me, I’m a shy, introverted person. Around people I don’t know, I’m usually quiet, reserved, and hesitant to strike up conversation. With other parents of a child with cancer, whether we meet them at clinic, or through our parental support group, I find myself just openly, and easily chatting with them. I perceive a kinship, an understanding. When I meet another parent of a child with cancer, it’s like two dogs meeting in a park. There’s a recognition there. You know that you’re both in that same awful club, and many of your experiences, worries, hopes, and fears line up – you don’t have to explain, they just get it. I consider these people friends, even though we may not know them well, or even much at all outside of our connection with childhood cancer. I’ve written about a similar topic before, but I would be there to help out ANY of these people if they were stuck, or in some sort of situation. I root for their kids; I rise when they’re doing well, and I stumble when they have a setback. Any of them would be welcome in my home to share a meal, or a cup of coffee.

Having said all that, I don’t think I’m projecting my “what if this happens to E?” feelings onto this situation. I don’t think I’m experiencing collective grief either. We know this family – we don’t know them really well – but I’m genuinely upset that this has happened, and there’s nothing that medical science could have done to save him. Neuroblastoma is a cancer that occurs in types of nerve tissue. It is unfortunately, a more aggressive cancer when found in children older that 1.5 years. It’s also one of the types where intensive treatment does not always result in a favourable prognosis, especially in the high-risk group.

This is where the underfunding of childhood cancer research really fails our children. What if there was more funding, and more scientists and doctors were studying it? Maybe we’d be closer to a cure, or at the very least, have higher treatment success rates.

Rest in peace little James, I will always remember your courage, your smile, and your positive outlook on life. You deserved better. All children with childhood cancer deserve better. It’s up to us to try to get politicians and organizations to properly fund childhood cancer research, because right now, we’re failing these children.

No comments:

Post a Comment