2018-10-22

75) Half-life

Today, E is 2-and-a-half. 30 months. Having been diagnosed at exactly 15 months of age, today is kind of like a cancer solstice for him. He's now spent equal parts of his life as a little boy, and as a little boy with leukemia. If I want to split hairs about it, he's actually had cancer for more than half his little life because he had it for an undetermined length of time before it was diagnosed.

But for all intents and purposes, nothing really changed in his, or our lives until July 22nd 2017 when we received that horrible news. Tomorrow will be 50% plus a day, officially more than half of his life. This is a fact he doesn't know, or understand, but I do. E's doctors say that he won't remember the earliest, worst parts. He will remember later hospital visits for bloodwork & a bit of chemo, because he will be 4-and-a-half when he reaches end of treatment. I know that for me, this is something I will never forget. I've cried, I've yelled, I've been a wretched miserable cow. I've lost sleep, I've been in states where all I want to do is sleep, and I've questioned the purpose & meaning of EVERYTHING. Today is not a milestone to be celebrated, but it feels significant, at least to me, and I believe that it deserves to be noted.

1 comment: